travails through the backcountry of my soul

compass broken
the trail split off
broke into
infinite tributaries
that was spring
and the flowers
fresh from the dew
distracted my weak mind
i closed my eyes
and pushed through
the surface
shut the door
on that wooden box
that held my past
sufferings
in the wake of
summers lost
floating on the waves
alone and tormented
full bloom, half-life
in the distance
the chains that bound me
held firm
love, loss, lust
the swell subsided
dumped me on
hypodermic shores
littered with my soiled ashes
i am you
you are real
how was i supposed to deal?
with the day
that lay before my tired voice
trapped in a splintered
box of lies
the pilot flickered
it lingered
kept my heart beating
my eyes open
the lines are thicker
now,
it's time for winter
that frozen cavern
swapping flames
stopping voices
in my head
that lied to me
they lied to me
it's time
leave stronger
live longer
to see another sunrise
the trail is still f'd
my knees weaker
but my will is wiser
now,
it's about time
i found you
on the ridge
where you were waiting
all along
to show me the other side
of the peak,
the valley that breaths beneath.

©2008 Sean Muzzy

Comments

Popular Posts